Using Task Boxes for IWS Independent Work Systems
In this episode, we're chatting about the use of task boxes within Independent Work Systems (IWS) to foster independence in students with special needs.
I also get a little personal, and share my motivation for cultivating independence in my 8-year-old son with Down Syndrome. My main goal is to prepare students for life beyond school and I love to use task boxes for this purpose.
Stop by and learn all about Independent Work Systems, and their role in creating self-reliant learners.
- Choosing the Right Tasks:
- Selecting age-appropriate and individually tailored task boxes for students.
- Ensuring tasks are 100% independent for each student's capability.
- Visual Supports:
- Highlighting the importance of visual supports in independent work systems.
- Advocating for the integration of task boxes due to their compatibility with visual support needs.
- Data Collection:
- Emphasizing the role of data collection in monitoring student progress.
- How task boxes in independent work systems facilitate easy progress tracking.
- IWS starter Kit FREE
- Free training: 3 Simple and Powerful Ways to Cultivate Independence in Your Special Education Classroom
- Blog post on how to set up IWS
- Task Boxes in my store
Connect with Me:
- Instagram: @chalkboard_superhero
- Join my Facebook group, Special Education Superheroes
- Join my email list
- Shop my TPT store
More About Teach, Task Box, Inspire: The Podcast:
Teach, Task Box, Inspire: The Podcast is your go-to educational podcast dedicated to making your job as a special education teacher easier and more enjoyable. Your host, Lisa Hollady, is a veteran special education teacher with a passion for helping teachers like you make a real difference in the lives of your students.
In your demanding roles, you’re constantly juggling various responsibilities, from differentiated instruction and Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) to data collection, and, of course, teaching. That’s where task boxes come in.
Task boxes aren’t just teaching tools. They’re the key to unlocking student independence, student engagement, and personalized learning. Through this podcast, you’ll uncover the incredible task box benefits for your special needs students and practical implementation tips that you can take to your classroom.
Tune in each Monday for a new episode that will equip you with essential strategies and motivation to approach your week with confidence and enthusiasm. Topics will include task box activities, social and emotional development, adaptive teaching, inclusive teaching, supporting diverse learners, classroom management, scheduling, visual aids, and more.
If you’re looking for more special education resources and support with increasing student independence, check out Lisa's FREE training.